Constructed in 1855 to replace a much older and more cramped establishment in the centre of Liverpool, and covers some 22 acres. It has a single capped security wall. There are 8 wings, all of which are in use having been refurbished and provided with integral sanitation system.
The prison serves the whole of the Merseyside Courts, Wigan Courts & Blackburn Courts catchment area.
68 Hornby Road
Tel: 0151 530 4000
Fax: 0151 530 4001
Governor: John Illingsworth
Operational capacity: 1247 (07/11/13)
Accommodation: Constructed in 1855 with eight wings, all of which have been refurbished to include integral sanitation.
Reception criteria: Standard local prison criteria. Remand/Trial and Convicted as directed by the courts.