HMP Leicester is situated in a commercial and residential district about half a mile from the city centre. It has the appearance of an impressive and strong medieval fortress. The Gatehouse is the oldest part, built in 1825. Further construction took place in 1874 and filled the bulk of the space within the secure perimeter. In 1990 a new visits and administration block was built adjoining the Gatehouse.
116 Welford Road
Tel: 01162 283 000
Fax: 01162 283 001
Governor: Ali Dodds
Accommodation: HMP Leicester is a “Victorian” prison on a 3 acre site close to the city centre. The main living accommodation is a long rectangular cell block with four landings, with full integral sanitation and in cell electricity.
Operational Capacity: 408 as of 8 July 2013